Tactical Cyber & Network Operations: UNO
Unified Network Operations (UNO) provides a robust, integrated, standardized set of network management capabilities that enable communications officers (S6/G6) from tactical edge up through corps to plan, configure, manage, monitor, control and secure/defend their network.
The program delivers assets an integrated, standardized, and simplifiedNetwork Operations (NetOps) framework that will combine the management of the strategic and tactical network environments into an Army centrally integrated NetOps architecture.
UNO efforts simplify and reduce the number of network management tools communication officers (G6s and S6s) use to manage and defend the tactical communications network and the program leads the Army’s Tactical NetOps convergence efforts. UNO assures uninterrupted access to critical communications and information links [satellite communications, positioning, navigation, and timing (PNT), and intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR)] across a multi-domain architecture, even when operating in a contested, congested, and competitive operating environment.
UNO integrates network management capability to simplify user experience, increase situational awareness, strengthen Cyber Network Defense capability, and integrate network planning with mission planning capabilities. It delivers capability as software upgrades that run in multiple common operating environment (COE) computing environments. Additionally, the program integrates functionality between the tools of the Upper Tactical Internet and Lower Tactical Internet, enhances visualization of NetOps functions and pushes network data to cyber situational awareness tools. UNO also implements a common data model that enables reconfiguration of the Network in support of unit task reorganization.
UNO directly supports the Army Network Modernization Strategy Line Of Effort (LOE) #1 Unified Network.
- Delivers advancements in the monitoring, control and planning tools to simplify management of emerging voice, data and internet transport networks
- Modeling and simulation capability to analyze the best possible network configuration with dynamically changing network due to global complex variants
- Provides improved information assurance and Network Centric Enterprise Services
- Inherent software modernization through recurring technical refresh within the PM Tactical Network family of programs
- Provides NetOps users with the capability to “operationalize” the planning, configuration, monitoring and management of the network through a single consistent tailorable user interface
- COE compliant, portable, and interactive common GUI with a user definable presentation workspace/dashboard
- Integrates network planning with mission planning, enabling the S6 to optimize capability to move data around the virtual battlefield in support of the Commander’s scheme of maneuver
- Integrates Upper Tactical Internet and Lower Tactical Internet network management tools and services
- Provides near-term “bridging” of NetOps capabilities for tactical radios and tactical network transmission systems operating within the tactical environment
- Sets the foundation for further integration of tactical and strategic networks for both network management services and cyberspace operations