Integrated Tactical Network
The ITN provides a simplified, independent, mobile network solution that is available down to the small-unit dismounted leader to facilitate mission command, situational awareness, and air-to-ground integration. The ITN incorporates the Army’s current tactical network environment (applications, devices, gateways, and network transport) with commercial off-the-shelf components and transport capabilities via capability sets, beginning with Capability Set 21 for infantry brigade combat teams (IBCTs) and initial capabilities for Stryker BCTs, and future capability sets for Brigade, Stryker, and Armored BCTs. The ITN provides the Army with a network that is more secure and resilient by offering units multiple network communication pathways when faced with contested or congested communications environments.
- Operates in both a Secret and a Secure but Unclassified Network environment
- Allows data to be categorized in accordance with its classification and to enable greater information sharing with partner nations
- Enables Primary, Alternate, Contingency, and Emergency communications when faced with contested or congested environments, and allows secure data transmission to coalition forces in an unclassified environment
- Simplifies training, set-up, and employment of the network
- Enables use of alternate transport including 4G/LTE
- Interoperates with current network systems to enable mission command systems used in command posts and on platforms